Sunday, June 21, 2009

Where to stay in the Smokies


When you go to the Great Smoky Mountains, there are only two really good options: camping or a cabin/chalet. Do not stay in a hotel. Repeat, do NOT stay in a hotel. When you stay in a hotel, you are likely to want to only be out and about all day (why would you want to sit around in a hotel?), but if you are gone all day, then you are exhausted at the end of the day. End result: you need a vacation from your vacation.

By staying in a cabin, or even better yet, camping, you get a much fuller experience of what the mountains have to offer. Some of the cabins you can rent are nice, REALLY nice, like you'll end up wanting to move into it permanently. While there are cabins all over the Smokies, the ones between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are centrally located, making it very convenient to go to either town whenever you want, or you can go back up to your cabin and get away from it all. Cabins often have pool tables, hot tubs, and fantastic views.

The other option is camping. This could mean tent camping, camping in an RV, or in some campgrounds, staying in a camping cabin, which is much smaller than the above-mentioned full-house style cabins, yet still provide a great mix between camping and staying indoors. While there are quite a few campgrounds in the area, there is one and only one I ever stay at because I have always stayed there. I consider it my second home. Crazy Horse Campground, off Highway 321, about 12 miles east of Gatlinburg, has a lot to offer.

It has lots of trees, so its very shaded. I have been appalled at some of other campgrounds' lack of shade! Who wants to camp with the sun beating down on them? Another huge feature is that Crazy Horse has creeks that run through the campground. I can't tell you how many hours I spent as a kid going into the creek and trying to damn up the water with all the rocks. Actually, I was down in the creek again the last two recent times I was up there: July 2006 and October 2008. Its nice to wake up to the sound of the water rushing past the rocks, creating that great babbling-brook sound. In the back of the campground the creek turns into a couple of pretty cool waterfalls with a pool at the bottom. Beware the slippery rocks! I found it easier to go in barefoot as it allows me to keep my balance better and know whether I am on a slippery rock or not. If you do happen to go in with your shoes on, then decide to dry them by a campfire that evening, I recommend keeping an eye on them. My dad and I melted our shoes one night that way!!!

Crazy Horse also has a trout pond where you can catch your own fish. Just behind the pond is one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a campground - a little cabin with a porch, a firepit, and bleachers in the front. Welcome to the Jack Tales Theatre, where on Saturday nights, stories are told by campfire for everyone there. Campers volunteer for bit parts in the tales for a very unique and fun experience.

At the front of the campground is a pool, waterslide, a general store, and a recreation center with video games, air hockey tables, wi fi for your laptop, and a crafts room. There are several wash rooms throughout the campground, along with bathrooms and shower facilities. In the center of the campground is a small playground.

We used to go to Tennessee for two weeks during the summer, every summer, in our motorhome when I was younger. So when we were not busy going to Dollywood or going into Gatlinburg or whatever, we had days where we just hung around the campground cooking out, listening to music, playing cards, playing down in the creek, having campfires, and just relaxing. When I was a kid, my dad would put Indian arrow heads and fools gold down in the creek (you can buy that stuff in Pigeon Forge) for me to find. Years later I finally figured it out! But for a while, I thought I was rich. Turns out I was right all along - not rich in gold, but rich in memories of the most fun family vacations one could hope for.

The last two times I was there (July 2006 and October 2008), we stayed in one of the 7 log cabins along the same creek we used to camp along in our motorhome. From here on out, I will be staying in those cabins. We may be going back next summer, 2010, in fact. They have covered front porches that overlook the creek. Go inside and you have all you need, a pull-out couch, tv, kitchenette and fridge, bathroom with shower, and back bedroom.

I know this sounds like a review, but its not. This is just my experience and I really do love this campground. They have no idea I have written this article. If you do stay, make sure you get a spot along the creek. They have full hookups for RVs and pop-ups, tent spots, and 7 cabins along the creek. A map of the campground is here. If reserving the cabins, one of the 7 cabins (green icon) along the creeks is what I recommend. The deluxe cabins (red icon) are not that much bigger, plus they are no where near anything interesting, especially the creek. The rustic cabins (brown icon) are smaller, also not on the creek, and have no bathrooms in them. The log cabins (green icon) are the way to go as they are on the creek and have bathrooms in them.

Well, I hope this review was interesting! I had fun writing it!










No comments:

Post a Comment