Sunday, June 28, 2009

Hillbilly Golf: A Unique Golfing Experience


When visiting Gatlinburg, TN, its a tradition for me to play at least one, usually two games of Hillbilly Golf. On your way into Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge, as soon as you exit the woods and see the first signs of town, you come right across the awesome mini-golf experience on the left-hand side. It seems like its been there forever - I can't remember it not being there.

What makes it so unique, and so much fun, is that you ride a 12-person (maximum) car up the side of the mountain to Hillbilly Golf's two 18-hole mini-golf courses. When you get to the top, you pick which side to get out on, which determines which course you play. Despite having been up there as recently as October 2008, I can't remember anything unique about one side or the other that would make one course better than the other. In fact, I think there were a few holes that were similiar, but all in all, they are both fun courses to play. Last October, I played at night for the first time, and that was a really cool experience as I was on the side of a mountain playing mini-golf down it in the dark! Well, they do have extremely adaquate lighting that comes on at dusk, so I guess its not in the dark, but you get the idea.

Game play for Hillbilly Golf is that you play a hole and go down steps to the next hole. Actually, many of the holes require going down steps to play the end of the hole! The course has some very challenging holes with very slight hills that can really take its toll on your score if you aren't careful! Like I said before, the two courses are pretty even, so its not like one side is easier than the other. Once you play down to the half-way point (ie half-way from the bottom to the top where you got off the car), there is a place to wait for the car to pick you up on its way down from dropping off the latest players at the top. Also, important point to keep in mind: because you are at the mercy of the car to come pick you up and bring you back to the bottom, if you gotta go, you are going to have to hold it. At some point into the game I realized I needed to go, and it was kinda rough. Keep this in mind if you have kids with you, or grown-ups like me that don't plan ahead. I was afraid I was going to make a puddle. Fortunately, there are bathrooms in the adjacent parking lot.

There are some other mini-golf courses in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, but I have never gone to any of them. As much as I like playing mini-golf, I don't go all the way to Tennessee to play it. There is one called Black Light Golf in the middle part of Gatlinburg that I *may* try someday, but who knows. I just love Hillbilly Golf because of the twist with playing down the side of the mountain and its like being in the woods. If you have played any of the others and have anything to say about them, post a comment and let me know!







No comments:

Post a Comment